Monday, February 9, 2015

What it's all about

   Welcome to Foot Mountain. Simply put, this blog will be about various topics about Afghanistan. Everything from historical battles (not just recent), to what the coalition did there and even stuff from my personal experience. The purpose is to help people learn and understand what is happening/happened over there. I will also post reviews about any books about Afghanistan, just a heads up, most of my posts will be drawing from what I am currently reading. I will try to keep things pretty simple for the reader, and by that I mean I will explain any military jargon/acronyms that may be found in future posts.
   A little about myself. I served four years in the Marine Corps as a mortar-man with 1st Battalion 7th Marines ( which will be referred to as 1/7). I was deployed twice to Afghanistan, the first pump (read deployment) being in Sangin, the second was all over the place in the Helmand Providence. I find the situation over there quite interesting, everything from when the Soviets occupied, to the Taliban uprising and to the recent troubles of the "fight on terror". I am by no means a schooled expert on the subject. All point of views are drawn from my personal experience and readings. So take some things with a grain of salt, if something offends you, feel free to let me know. If I have put any mistakes, again, please let me know. Oh, and the name Foot Mountain is named after a giant ass mountain that would stand over us during many missions on my last pump.
   Enjoy the posts, I will be writing up the first official post very soon. I hope anyone who reads this blog gains some insight into what happened over there. So kick back and relax and learn something new about Afghanistan.
  UPDATES: The next post will be about the Bala Murghab Valley (known as BMG). Yes I am reading the book Level Zero Heroes, which is about a MARSOC (Marine special forces) unit that fought over there. The first post will be a rough overview of the valley, significant events, key players and the overall situation will be outlined. It will be the first of a series in which I will write about events that happened over there. Expect the next post to be coming at you sometime in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment